Monday, May 7, 2012

Nick's Cinco de Mayo Birthday Cake

My husband Nick is turning 30 years old Monday, May 7th. Since it's a big birthday for him and it also happened that Cinco de Mayo was on a Saturday this year, we decided to have a party to celebrate. I had fun planning the cake for this fiesta. I wanted to make something simple yet colorful to fit the party theme. I came across a rainbow cake on the internet and loved how colorful and fun it looked. The recipe I found called for a white cake but I wanted to do something related to the holiday so I decided to go with a margarita cake recipe.  And, for the frosting I chose lime buttercream. It's the perfect compliment to the cake. We had bought party supplies earlier in the month for the party. There were two pinatas: a cactus and a sombrero. It was my inspiration for making the cake into a sombrero with a pinata on top. 




The cake didn't end up looking much like a sombrero but I still love all the fun designs. It looked very festive. The pinata on top I made earlier in the week. It is completely edible because it was made out of fondant. He, we named him Pedro, matched the colorful cake on the inside. The rainbow cake was delicious. It tasted very refreshing and everyone was really impressed by how colorful it turned out. It was really easy to make. Before baking I split equal amounts of the batter into 6 bowls. Then I dyed each one a different color. Next I put about a half a cup of batter of one color into the center of the pan followed by putting a half a cup of batter of a different color into the center of the batter already in the pan. I felt like I was doing an art project. I am really happy with the result.



In the process of looking for cake ideas online I came across the cutest idea for cupcakes. They looked like nachos. I had sometime to fit them in so I went for it. I am glad that I did because they turned out adorable. They were perfect for a Cinco de Mayo party.




1 comment:

  1. First of all: Happy Birthday to Nick! Secondly, it's so cool you tried the rainbow cake! Looks great. And I looove the nacho cupcakes. Wish I could've been there to help you party :P

    ReplyDelete